As humans, we are naturally drawn to images. Investing in design has never been more essential especially if it’s your job to communicate to prospective customers.
Here is the evidence:
Visual communication is fast
- It is possible to recognize a brand in less than a second.
- People process images 60,000 times faster than text.
- People form a first impression in a mere 50 milliseconds.
- In fact 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual.
Great design bypasses short attention spans
- People don’t read, they scan. We have too much to absorb, in too little time.
- We only read about 20% of the text on an average page.
- Articles with images get 94% more views than those without relevant images.
- Eye-tracking studies show Internet readers pay more attention to information-carrying images.
- Colour increases reader’s’ attention spans by 82%.
Visual content aids memory
- Colour makes an impression that is 39% more memorable.
- Colour can improve readership by 40%, learning from 55-78%, and comprehension by 73%.
- Any image is better than none even if in monochrome.
- People retain 6.5 times more information when it is paired with relevant images.
Visuals are picked up, viewed, shared, & liked more often
- For starters, coloured visuals increase people’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80%.
- People are 55% more likely to pick up a full-colour piece of mail first.
- Advertisements in colour are read up to 42% more often than the same ads in black and white (as shown in study on phone directory ads).
- Did you know visual content is more than 40 times more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content?
- Infographics for example, are liked and shared on social media 3 times more than other any other type of content.
Visual Marketing converts viewers to users
- We’ve all suffered at the hands of slides filled with text. Presentations with visual aids are 43% more persuasive.
- In fact, people following directions with text and illustrations do 32% better than people following directions without illustrations.
- Take it further with video. Video on a landing page increased conversions by 86%.